Sunday, April 27, 2014

DIY Black Belt Sash

Well hello,  It's been a while since I  last blogged but I am going to start again!   I am going to post about food and crafts! I am also going to post about whatever else I want!   Kyle's sister, Katie, is getting married soon and I am I bridesmaid.  She wanted us all to have short black dresses.  I have a favorite short black dress that I already own.   It needed just a little extra somethin' somethin' so I decided to add sparkle to it by using a 'belt'   This belt is made from 3 inch gross grain ribbon and two different types of black rhinestones. I didn't want to use clear rhinestones because I thought it would be too sparkly and stick out from the dress too much.  I just wanted a little extra sparkle not a HEY-LOOK-AT-ME  belt.  My mom and I own a custom apparel business so this was all made from things I already had!!!

Materials: - 3 inch Gross Grain ribbon (the type is important so it won't fray as much)
                -  SS10 Black Rhinestones ( we get ours from therhinestoneworld.com)
                -  SS16 Black Rhinestones- these are a different kind of black much darker and glossier.
                -  Rhinestone Template-  I made this template about a year ago and used different colored rhinestones to do about 95 Warm Up Jackets for my cheerleaders.  So I already had the template made.

Step 1: Make the template and fill it with rhinestones  This template is two pieces here is a picture of just one of the pieces of the template that I filled with the SS16 Glossy Black Rhinestones. The other template was for the smaller stones and a different part of the design. After you fill a template with rhinestones you put a special kind of tape on the top called Transfer Tape to be able to lift up the design and then place the design on whatever you want to press it on.  In this case I placed it on a black 3 inch ribbon.


Step 2: Press the rhinestone transfers on the ribbon one at a time.  Here is a picture of the SS10 black rhinestones after they are pressed 

Here is the ribbon after I pressed the other template on top of it.  Make sure to press any stone bigger than an SS 16 twice before you peel the tape off, then press it once from the back.  Sometimes If I'm afraid the stones aren't going to stick or if it's a very thick fabric then I'll press it from the back before I peel that tape off.   
 
I am going to use heavy duty sticky velcro to make the belt actually close.  I am going to make it close on the side of the dress so that way it will lay flat across the back of the dress.  I haven't actually done that part yet. 


I realize not everyone can actually do-it-themselves because of the rhinestone template but you can still get the same general look by using E6000 glue and regular rhinestones from a store.  Instead of doing a complicated design like mine, just do a sprinkled look and just sprinkle them throughout  the ribbon.  If the glue part makes you nervous buy heat press rhinestones, place them wear you want and then use a heat press ( if you have it) or use an iron just make sure it's turned to the correct temperature setting.  Another option is to by a fancy looking applique from the craft isle at any Walmart, or Michael's, or Hobby Lobby and Iron it on to the ribbon or use E6000 glue which you can also buy at the store.  

No comments:

Post a Comment